Monday, March 24, 2008

Being Catholic....

St Julian in Sydney at George Street...

I had the opporturnity to attend daily mass at St. Julian Church at George Street in Sydney. The church will be undergoing renovation and it will be done before Christmas... You can see on the altar is the Blessed Sacrament for adoration. Catholics believes that it is Jesus Himself is there.


St. Francis at Lonsdale Street in Melbourne

I remember when I was in Melbourne studying, I always find myself a time to go to this church. It is easy to go here because it is in the middle of the city. Even better, the church is enclosed between Melbourne Central and Myer. After praying, you can just simply go for shopping. Praying and shopping are theraphy...



The start of Palm Sunday at the courtyard of St Bede church in North Balwyn

This is the nearest church to my friend's place. It took me 20 minutes of walking from his house, but 5 minutes of driving. This year, I celebrated Palm Sunday and Good Friday in Melbourne in this church. But I didn't attend Easter Mass on Sunday because of my flight schedule to Malaysia. Hmm... oh well... It is not intentional...




Good Friday at St Bede where Catholics venerates the cross

In Melbourne, I noticed that Catholics do not take off their shoes when they venerate the cross. It is different in Mukah where Catholics take off their shoes and kiss the cross. I did take off my shoes and it seems I was the only one doing it. For those who does not know, we always celebrate Good Friday mass at 3pm because Jesus died at that time.

The thing that I miss in Melbourne is... to be able to go to church where you can venerate Holy Sacrament. It does not matter whether for five minutes or 2 long hours (if you have the time). In St. Francis, the veneration of sacrament is done everyday, except during mass.

Here in Malaysia, seldom Blessed Sacrament put out for adoration. The nearest you can venerate Him is the tabernacle. Oh well... *sigh**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sure, i will find the time to visit you in mukah. last time i missed it! :( nice post!

Twinkle said...

jane: Ooooo OK.... Hehehe we makan umai ok?