Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Melanau special delicacy...


This is a delicacy for Melanau. We called it "lamaih" but I don't know what it is called in English or Malay. It is an expensive delicacy, which can cost RM 100 per kilo.

The form above is in caterpillar stage. But when it is in pupa stage, it is still edible. My mum loves to find it in the jungle. It is seasonal... only certain times of the year. Sometimes we have to wait 2 to 3 years.

Usually it is wrapped in leaves, you know, like those normal butterfly. But it is never known to me whether it is a butterfly or not. Hahahaha, they don't get the chance to be one since all of them are harvested by all hungry Melanau. Hehehehe

I never tried it before, so for the first time in my life I tried it today. It reminded me of Fear Factor. It tastes OK. But that's it. I don't want another bite of it.


Hehehehe, I gave one to baby for her to hold. Look at her expression... She is not even scared of it but holding it as it is a toy. I still feel queasy by looking at it.


This is baby upon closer inspection.


Oppsss... poor fellow, getting pulled into two pieces by Twinkle. Luckily it is already cooked. Well, I don't see any guilt in Twinkle's face.

1 comment:

Twinkle said...

No laaaaaaaaaa... I wouldn't dare. I don't want her to get stomach ache.